Palm-capital Column

Palm-capital Column
Egypt (Ihnasya el Medina [Herakleoplis Magna], temple of Harsaphes, portico) Old Kingdom, reused in Dynasty 19, 26492139 B.C.E.
Granite, Height: 494 cm (194 1/2 in.)
Egyptian Research Account by subscription 1891, MFA #91.259
Photo ©Joan Ann Lansberry, 2014

"While the inscriptions on this palm-capital column were cut by the 13th century BC kings Ramesses II and Merneptah of Dynasty 19, the column itself was re-used from a much earlier structure. Similar palm columns were used in the temples, associated with the royal pyramids of Dynasties 5 and 6 at Saqqara and Abusir, near modern Cairo. It's likely that this column, along with others like it, was taken from one of these earlier monuments, then re-inscribed and re-used for the facade of a temple at Herakleopolis. The scenes on the column show Ramesses II offering wine to the falcon-headed god, Ra-Horakhty. " (From the info card)


Detail revealing the New Kingdom carving...
Photo ©Joan Ann Lansberry, 2014


Fifth Dynasty columns at the Met Museum