Statue of King Anlamani
From Nubia (Sudan) Gebel Barkal, temple B 500 A (upper part of feather headdress from temple B 904), 623–593 B.C.E.
Granite, Height: 381 cm (150 in.) Approximate Weight: 7900 kg (17416.3 lb.)
Harvard University—Boston Museum of Fine Arts Expedition 1923, MFA #23.732
|"The column was discovered, along with the later column capital in the form of a fetish of the goddess Hathor, in the Great Temple of the feline goddess Bastet at Bubastis in the Nile delta. The temple was built during the Third Intermediate Period, but papyrus bundle columns are known to date to a much earlier time, and this example was probably made in Dynasty 12. Like many elements from Middle Kingdom temples in the Nile delta, the column was originally made for another structure and was removed by a later king for use in a project of his own, probably after the earlier building had long been abandoned. The location of the original temple can no longer be identified with certainty, but recent scholarship suggests that it was probably located on the same site or nearby. The monolithic column was carved from a massive block of pink granite quarried at Aswan, some 1,126 kilometers (700 miles) south of the Nile delta. After being shaped in the quarry, the block was transported by barge to the Delta, where the final finishing would probably have taken place." (From museum website)|